My name is Oneil Baburam, I'm a Kenyan at university in Australia. I've always been interested in personal blogs and the techniques people use in writing them. There's plenty of creative minds out there, I thought I'd give keeping an online journal of my own a shot in SRT 251 CONSTRUCTION AND STRUCTURES. I don't know if I'll always have the time to update the blog, but then again I suppose dedicating time isn't a prerequisite for a good blog; I've always wondered how the people who live such exciting lives still find time to put all their experiences down on their sites..
The best way to waste your life, ... is by taking notes. The easiest way to avoid living is to just watch. Look for the details. Report. Don't participate.” : Chuck Palahniuk

I know this is a pretty dire opening quote for a blog, but look at it this way: it's a promise that when I haven't posted for a while, it's a sign that something's brewing (or if you're a glass-half-empty type person, a sign that when I do post, it will be the bored thought-less rambles of a man shut up in a room in rainy Australia?).

One could say the timing of the opening of this blog is ideal; I've just arrived in Australia form a 4 month holidayback home, so I must have plenty of new experiences to share. But, referring back to the first law of Blog Excitement Dynamics (excitement is inversely proportional to post frequency), this could also be just another project dead before it even started. Who knows? I won't deny I have tried opening sites and blogs before and they have collapsed on themselves for distinct lack of character and writer's block on the opening post (I am SOneil, I am 22, I am Kenyan, I am United fan, I am University student.... you get the picture), but one feels the abundance of character in this opening post is a good indicator of the potential longevity of the blog.

"Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason" : Jerry Seinfeld

That's my take of a classic opening post. Go ahead and trash my comments book with your abuse, or grace it with your appreciative compliments. You're probably wondering where all the opening post detail is. Who's my favourite artist? Who's my favourite football team (ok, I did leak that one slightly earlier...)? All this you will find out with time. Or won't, who knows. Disappointed? It cost you nothing, so pay me no mind (clue to my favourite artist...).

Welcome to my blog, feel at home

1 comment: